Author Topic: CD-Pro2 chassis?  (Read 9389 times)

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
CD-Pro2 chassis?
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:24:13 PM »
Hi Yeo,
Any of your friends coming up with a chassis for the CD-Pro2M transport?
Otherwise I will take the one from the KLiAV 2008 for 200$ :D
Or sell you the CD-Pro2M for the same price.....
Nic

P.S. I think it is about the only transport that I know of that output EIAJ natively......

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
Re: CD-Pro2 chassis?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:41:47 AM »
Ok- so I ordered the above indicated kit to finally case my CD-Pro2m transport that I have had lying around for a couple of years now. I face two problems to solve:
1) How to get EIAJ out of this transport for my Mojo that I would like to build into the unit.
2) How to improve the power supplies for the transport. As we are talking about a kit I will be able to implement changes in the building phase rather than have to rework it afterwards. I have the schematics of the circuit.
I anyone has any suggestions I would be quite happy to hear.
Thanks,
Nic

Offline vt4c

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »
1) How to get EIAJ out of this transport for my Mojo that I would like to build into the unit.

Located on the CDM12-Pro2M transport servo board, there is a 6-pins I2S digital interface...That is
where you can get EIAJ signal....Follows the DAC mode setting on this page  - http://diyparadise.com/img/CDCTR_2.pdf ....The default output format from the CDM12-Pro2M is Phillips' 16 bits I2S.

This selection is available from CD controller kits...Can't say for sure if the mode selection is available from us.hifidit.net kit.

2) How to improve the power supplies for the transport. As we are talking about a kit I will be able to implement changes in the building phase rather than have to rework it afterwards. I have the schematics of the circuit.
I anyone has any suggestions I would be quite happy to hear.
Please show us the schematic....... :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:41:45 PM by vt4c »

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 01:06:36 AM »
Hi vt4c
The schematics is not public but arrive by e-mail when you order the kit. I think I will honor the copyright of hifidiy.net and not publish it here. Essentially, however, the supplies for the 5V and 9V rails for the CD-Pro2 are down to LM317 based circuits so there is room for improvement. Will be back later in this thread with more info and questions.
Thanks,
Nic

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Hi vt4c,
I have decided to try to implement your controller in my CDPRO2 chassis.
How do I wire the remote header to an IR sensor? It is a 3-pin connector: 1 pin to ground, 1 pin directly to the chip, and 1 pin to the chip with 2 film caps to ground. What remote can I use and what can I control with it?
Thanks,
Nic

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
I kind of made it working (with DIYparadise the controller) but now I have display trouble....
The keypad control of the CD-PRO2m works but I have lost all textual information on the display. The backlight is OK.
I guess this is the the fun of DIY......
Nic

Offline vt4c

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:16 PM »
Hi Nic,
  I believe the IR receiver was wired accordingly when you received the kit The IR receiver (view from the front left most pin) pin 1 - signal out, pin 2 - ground & pin 3 - +5V. On the CD conrtoller PCB, pin 1 - +5V, pin 2 - signal in & pin 3 - ground. You can use any RC5 remote control meant for CD player only (not TV or etc) from Philips, Marantz, Bow Tech and the like. All the normal function can be done via remote including display (backlight off), repeat track and repeat the whole CD title.

As for the LCD display, pin 1 (marked 1 on the pcb) correspond to pin 1 on the CD controller's pcb. You must connect all the wires on the display correctly in order for it to work properly. Wrongly wired and the LCD will go south. BTW, if you can't get the LCD working, the CD controller will not work correctly as well;cause it continues to poll a signal from the LCD display..... :o
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:56:29 PM by vt4c »

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 02:46:04 PM »
OK - I will try with the IR sensor as you described.
I still cannot make the display work. I rewired the connections and tried also a another compatible display - but the is no text coming up. The controller seems to work as the transport reacts correctly to the keypads. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Nic

Offline vt4c

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 08:38:31 PM »
Hi Nic,
   Try adjusting the trimmer pot on the CD controller....That is the bias for the LCD display. Please let me know if this works.

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 03:26:14 AM »
I will try but I don't think it will make a difference as it used to work and as I have never adjusted this pot.....
Could it be related to the startup sequence? I turn it all on contemporarily but there are different regulators between mains and the three different rails.
Nic

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
You were right vt4c! Turning the trimmer all the way counterclockwise makes the text very faintly visible.
It is working but hardly readable..... I guess my display must be going south....
I may try another display. Are any of the fixed value resistors on the controller board a "backlight resistor"?
I have understood that different LCD displays needs different values here.
Thanks,
Nic

Offline vt4c

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 02:54:51 AM »
Hi Nic,
  The trimmer will vary the bias voltage from 0V to 5V...May I know which LCD you're using? If it's not the one included along with the kit, then, you should try that....Normally, the LCD that comes with the kit will work (with good visibility) at around 10 o'clock position. The backlight 'resistor' is one labeled R4 on the PCB board....Actual a diode is used here cause the backlight voltage on the LCD that comes along with the kit is running at 4.3V. Runs cool using a diode! Since the supply to the backlight is coming from a regulated 5V supply; you can calculate the right resistance value for your new LCD....BTW, you can turn the backlight off by pressing 'A/B' button on the remote control (if that button is available on the remote!)...This button toggles the backlight on/off....Include this function just to save some power & reduce carbon foot-print!  ;)

The CD controller kit will work with any standard 2x16 characters LCD or VFD display module that support the 'Hitachi' interface protocol.  I believe this type of module is very common and easily available.

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:16:16 AM »
Hi vt4c,
The display is the one that came with the kit (about 3 years ago....).
I have another display that I'm trying to get to work but I think that I might need to put in a resistor as it is very bright without.
Did I also receive a IR detector diode with the kit? I cannot seem to locate any and I'm trying to identify a suitable replacement item from a commercial source (Farnell).
I did try the IR detector that came with diyhifi controller but either my remote, the detector, or my interpretation of what is the signal and the +5V pins on the detector is wrong :-[
Thanks again,
Nic

Offline NicMac

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 01:20:48 PM »
vt4c, when I probe the remote connector on the controller PCB (without any IR detector attached) with my DMM I find about 5V on both pin 1 and 3 (vs. pin2/gnd). Is this normal?
I have tried another remote and I still cannot get it to work.....
Thanks,
Nic