Author Topic: merrill dca4  (Read 33961 times)

Offline yeo

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • diy rules!
    • View Profile
    • diyparadise
merrill dca4
« on: December 07, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »
hi guys

during the kuala lumpur international av 2008 show which we participated couple months ago, many folks were intrigued by our gears. particularly the speakers! definitely the most striking they have ever seen (or heard).

in case you missed it, read about it here -> http://diyparadise.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=140&Itemid=27.

speakers played were the coral beta 6 in hedlund horn and the little 4" merrill dca4 in st cloud. st cloud is a design by gabriel our loudspeaker "guru".

in fact, some commented that in that room, the dca4 + st cloud horn sounded better than the coral beta 6 + hedlund horn!

anyway, i know i could be completely happy with the above system.

unfortunately we couldn't contact dave merrill then to purchase more of the excellent dca4 but later dave told us he has passed on the business side to his friends at twobaldguysaudio.com and now we, diyparadise, is proud to be appointed the distributor for such excellent drivers!

and if you were impressed by what you heard at the audio show, this new improved design sounds even better!

watch this thread. we'll be putting out more info on this thread.

yeo

Offline vmps

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
Re: merrill dca4
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 09:57:38 PM »
 :)

Offline yeo

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • diy rules!
    • View Profile
    • diyparadise
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »
hi gabriel

in the pic, you look like some communist!

here's the zigmahorn cabinet for the dca4s.

yeo

Offline Tube Nube

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
Very impressive looking speakers. Beyond my non-existant carpentry skills to build.

But, Yeo, I'm interested in the speaker design you have detailed. I was going to ask you about your experience with the Hammer Dynamics, thinking I might build some myself.

Do you have any more information, links, comments about these Zigma--things? I think I could build these!

Thank you

Brenton

Offline yeo

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • diy rules!
    • View Profile
    • diyparadise
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 03:16:37 PM »
hi brenton

i did a google on "zigmahornet". quite a number of links came up!

i like the hammer dynamics. those days when there weren't that many high sensitivity designs, the hammers were fantastic. nowadays i'm sure it'll still hold its own against some of the competitors but how good, i can't tell as i sold off mine few years ago.

yeo

Offline Tube Nube

• God Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:01:33 PM »
Thanks Yeo,

I should have thought to googlesearch the sigmahornets. Found a nice review on 6moons.

Offline KenC

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 12:56:35 AM »
The White Hair guy standing by the two pairs of horns in the previous pic gave me his Double Horn Design and asked me to use "THE"  15~16mm thk plywood for the cabinet built. so I proceed to prepare "THE" plywood.

I normally do not believe in sneak oil, but here a specific mix of different grade 3mm ply sounded best compare to other combination of material such as MDF, Chipboard, block board... etc.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 01:03:53 AM by KenC »

Offline KenC

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 01:01:23 AM »
Now, I'll weight down the panels and leave them overnight for best curing B4 I apply "THE" damping treatment on the panels.

Merry x'mas

KenC

Offline synapticon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 07:41:39 AM »
Yeo, Ken, Gabriel et al,
Are plans available for the St Cloud Horn?
It looks like an interesting and managable project with good WAF.
I've been looking for a BLH to build, with only one bend, that was smaller than the Hedlund and could serve as a basis for experimentation. The St Cloud seems to fit the bill. I found a similar horn on the web at http://www.quarter-wave.com. There is a link to the
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design Gallery at the bottom of page. You will have to scroll through some other speakers to get to the horn. It uses the Jordan JX92S Full Range Driver and a Super Tweeter and was built by Paul Norton.
Are there more of us in Paradise who are interested in a DIY BLH?
Happy new year to all.
BTW, how does one upload a jpeg ???

Offline vmps

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:38 AM »
hi synaticon,

there r no plans for the St cloud, i agreed with you the horn in the link look alike , may be you can build that?

vmps

Offline KenC

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »
Yeo, Ken, Gabriel et al,
Are plans available for the St Cloud Horn?
It looks like an interesting and managable project with good WAF.
I've been looking for a BLH to build, with only one bend, that was smaller than the Hedlund and could serve as a basis for experimentation. The St Cloud seems to fit the bill. I found a similar horn on the web at http://www.quarter-wave.com. There is a link to the
Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design Gallery at the bottom of page. You will have to scroll through some other speakers to get to the horn. It uses the Jordan JX92S Full Range Driver and a Super Tweeter and was built by Paul Norton.
Are there more of us in Paradise who are interested in a DIY BLH?
Happy new year to all.
BTW, how does one upload a jpeg ???

hi synaticon,
happy ney year to you!
YES! I agree that anyone can build a Hedlund, since it is a constant width horn, but St. Cloud is another animal...
with enough time, energy, love for wood working and a huge ego lke mine, you can build a pair of Hedlund with some plywood, wood glue , pen kine and file. Give a few hundred hours of building time and another few hundred of tuning time, you will be about ok.
If you are looking for something smaller, have a look see here,
http://diyparadise.com/forum/index.php?topic=55.0
jpeg? click on the "Additional Options..." on the bottom left corner of the post reply window and the rest is self explainatory.

Offline KenC

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
    • Tinkering
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 10:10:32 PM »
I just checked the thread, no more pix....
too bad then...

Offline synapticon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52:10 AM »
Thanks Ken,
Trying additional options to post pic of Paul Norton's horn. Hope it works.
I believe there is a relativly easy way to build this design out of plywood with the double taper. The Norton horn indicates/hints how.
Before I go any further, if anyone has a proprietary interest in this horn, please let me know. I really don't want to step on any toes.

Offline yeo

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
  • diy rules!
    • View Profile
    • diyparadise
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »
Hi synapticon

We love horns so if you have plans to share, let us know!

If it's easy to build, then that's even better! Most folks find horns hard to build.

Yeo

Offline milen007

• God Member
  • Got to DIY!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:13:09 PM »
just an info, read in other forum that BIB is good as well. but its claim for dca 5.5 which bring down the bass to 45Hz. BIB certainly easy to build. i am learning my option here whether to build dca 4 in zigmahornet or dca 5.5 in PAWO or BIB.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 09:54:09 PM by milen007 »